tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 05 15:15:46 1997

RE: KLCD: The spiteful cloak song

February 05, 1997 11:38 AM EST, jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> Hi there!
> I'm trying to compose a lyric to a song but I really need your help.
> Here is the lyric and above it, my attempt to translate it.
> I didn't find tlhIngan words to: "spiteful"

Looking at your song below, I'm afraid I don't even know what a "spiteful
cloak" is supposed to be.  Until I do, I can't really answer this question.

> Flying through the space
> a lonely ship
> trading it's cargo
> with another race
>
> the planet is so far
> on a wilderness route
> and a spiteful cloak
> is near there
>
>         Trying to translate
>
> logh puvchoHlI'

It's flying "in" space, so use {loghDaq}.  Also, it's not beginning to fly, is
it?  You don't need {-choH}.

loghDaq puvlI'.
It flies through space.

> mob 'ejDuj'lu'

What's {'ejDujlu'}?  "Ship" is simply {Duj}; {'ejDo'} is "starship."

mob Duj.
The ship is alone.

> mechtaH tepDaj

The cargo doesn't trade, it is traded.  {tepDaj} should be the object of the
sentence.

tepDaj mechtaH.
It is trading its cargo.

Your use of {-taH} here suggests that you didn't want {-lI'} on the first
line, but {-taH}.

> latlhlu' Segh

What's that {lu'} doing on {Segh}?  For "another race," I'd say {nov} "alien."
 But this is only a noun, and you've got a whole sentence.

loghDaq puvtaH
Duj mob.
novpu'vaD tepDaj
mechtaH.

> yuQ Hop'a'

"The planet is so far" is a sentence, not a noun phrase.  {yuQ} should be the
subject.

Hopqu' yuQ.

{-'a'} is the interrogative suffix, not emphasis.

> Chim He

"The route is deserted."

> ej' "spiteful" So'Duj retlhDaq

Oh, is a "cloak" referring to a cloaked ship?

'ej Sum So'bogh Duj.
And a cloaked ship is near.

--
SuStel