tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 05 15:15:42 1997

RE: KLBC

February 04, 1997 10:11 PM EST, jatlh ChuS be':

> ChuS be' pongwIj.

When saying that something "is" something else, use a pronoun.  See TKD
section 6.3.  Also, please mark names with a symbol, like an asterisk.

*ChuS be' 'oH pongwIj'e'.

Have you heard me go on about what KLBC is all about?  I suppose you have, so
I'll spare you my speech!  :)

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojlI'.

This sentence is perfectly correct, but it implies that you have a known
stopping point in mind.  I hope that you plan to study Klingon as an ongoing
project, not a specific task, so instead of {-lI'}, use {-taH}:

tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH.

See TKD section 4.2.7.

> vIparHaqu'.

maj.

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojlI' vav vIja'ta'.

majQa'!  Except that I'd use {vIghojtaH} instead of {vIghojlI'}, you've got
this one right on!  And verbs of saying are confusing enough!!

> muQub jum. (lugh jIjatlh'a'?)

ghobe'.  Actually, both sentences are wrong.

"He thinks that I am odd" requires a sentence-as-object construction (see TKD
section 6.2.5).  The first part is "I am odd."  {jIjum}.  The second part is
"He thinks that."  {'e' Qub}.  {'e'} is a pronoun which stands in for the
entire previous sentence.  Imagine the {jIjum} part crammed into where the
{'e'} is.

jIjum 'e' Qub.
He thinks I'm odd.

> ChuS be'
>
> PS  jIbel.  peDlI'!

Again, you probably don't want {-lI'}.  {-taH} would be correct.  The assumed
subject of this sentence must be {muD} "atmosphere."  {peDtaH muD} "The
atmosphere is snowing."  After all, when you say "It is snowing," what's "it"?
 Well, in Klingon, the word {muD} seems to work here. See HolQeD 2:4, if you
have it.

jumuvmo', jIQuch, *ChuS be'*.  batlh tlhIngan Hol Daghojjaj!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level