tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 11 10:43:44 1997

Re: Basic Vocabulary

In article <l03020901b0b52402cf19@[206.150.217.210]>, Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> writes
>>...I am not asking for a word list to be
>>posted - that is not permitted. But it is certainly in line with our mission
>>for each experienced speaker to suggest their top 25, say, picks for 'most
>>useful basic vocabulary'. Learners would then have a starting point to learn
>>a basic set of words, and have a relatively balanced vocabulary to start.
>
>The 'most useful' vocabulary depends highly on the situation.  What I'm
>likely to be discussing on the list changes drastically from day to day,
>and what I think would be some *really* useful vocabulary for grammatical
>discussions is not even there.

Yeah, obviously, but, for me, as a learner, there are some things you
want to know.

When you learn other foreign languages you learn how to identify
yourself as one of your first things.  Name (v. important and difficult
for newbies in Klingon), family members (father v. important in Klingon
but other family members also possibly) things like that.

Obviously not all concepts translate well into Klingon or would be
expressed by Klingons - knowing that you like crochet might not be top
on your list of things to say in Klingon.  But there is some stuff
that's needed.

--

James Coupe (remove items of clothing to reply)

I shall personally come around to your houses and drag you out by the scruff of
the neck.  I shall belt you around the mouth and mouth you around the belt.  Do
you understand what I'm saying?

Back to archive top level