tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 11 12:14:53 1997

Re: Vocabulary? WAS: Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj

-----Original Message-----
From: Neal Schermerhorn <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, December 11, 1997 9:10 AM
Subject: Vocabulary? WAS: Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj

>"Vocabulary"  - what does it really mean?  If it means "set of words" then
>what we really want for "all of the vocabulary" is something like
><mu'tay'Daq Hoch mu'>.

This is the dreaded Krankor Trick, and I certainly don't like it.  The more
I see it, the more I don't believe in it.

Krankor's trick in a HolQeD not too long ago was to use a Type 5 suffixed
noun to modify another noun.  The only canon evidence that this can happen
is uncertain at best ({ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'}).  TKD prohibits
against nouns with Type 5 suffixes from being the first noun of the
noun-noun construction.  Furthermore, every example that Krankor says
requires his trick can in fact be written without his trick.

Nouns with Type 5 suffixes (not including {'e'}) modify SENTENCES, not other
nouns.

mu'tay' Hoch mu'
every word of the vocabulary

>And can <-Daq> refer to a non-physical place, such as
>a vocabulary list? (Adding <tetlh> in there might help that.)

Uncertain.  Generally, I would stick with strictly physical meanings, unless
you're certain it would work in some other context and be correct.
{tetlhDaq} *could* refer to a list which has actually been written down, in
which case it works.  If it's just a list that exists in your head (if the
noun covers that), {-Daq} may not work.

SuStel
Stardate 97945.9

Back to archive top level