tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 06 14:58:52 1997

Re: KLBC Re: north, south, east, west and distances

At 08:12 97-12-01 -0800, Phil wrote:
}
}I'll try this again :)
}
}Qov writes:
} > }Hol SovQo' reHwIpu' chIch jIlo'chugh 'oH tlhaQqu' jIwuq.
} > }I've decided that it would be more fun if I actually use a
} > }language the players don't know.
} >
}
}Hol luSovbe'bogh reHwI'pu' DajtaH law' Hoch DajtaH pus 'e' vIwuqpu'

You may not use type-7 suffixes like {-pu'} after {'e'}.  This one doesn't
add anything, anyway. I also don't see the reason for {-taH} on {Daj}.  I'd
leave it off. {puS} - shift the {S}.

} > }French joq English jatlhmo' chaH HolvaD jIlo' thlhIngan Hol.
} > }Since
} > }they all speak french and english, there was only Klingon left to be
} > }used as an other language.
} >
}
}France Hol England Hol joq luyajtaHmo' reHwI'pu' Hol pImmeH 'oH
}thlhIngan Hol vIwIv

Again the {-taH} seems odd, as if understanding a language was something one
could do intermittantly.  Because {joq} means that the object is singular or
plural, I wouldn't use {lu-} here, especially as your English shows that
your {joq} is closer to a {je} than a {ghap}.  I think you mean {pImmeH Hol}
- in order that the language be different, not {*Hol pImmeH 'oH} which I
think is a relapse to your initial habit of trying to use pronoun as to be
to represent the "be" in "be different."  Watch spelling of {tlhIngan}.

} > }If they realize its klingon, then hopefully they will try to learn it
} > }and gain an advantage in the campaign.
} > }thllhIngan Hol lutlhojchugh chaH Do' ghoj 'oH lunID chaH 'ej advantage
} > }QujDaq Suqtah chaH pagh waQtaH Hol ratlhtaH
} > }Otherwise, the language barrier
} > }will remain.
}
}thlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' lutlhojchugh reHwI'pu' 'oH vIghoj chaH 'e'
}vInIDtaH 'ej advantage vISuqbej chaH

{tlhIngan}.  Practice typing it correctly.  The prefix on {ghoj} should show
that THEY will learn IT:  {lu-} not {vI-}.  I suggest the suffix {-choH} to
indicate that they aren't learning it now, but would change to learning it,
start learning it.  {lughojchoH}.  The {*'e' vInIDtaH} contains another
illegal type-7 after {'e'} and another wrong prefix.  You mean {'e' lunID}.
The idea of trying to learn it may be containing in starting to learn it,
allowing you to leave off this second {'e'}.  I find chained {'e'}s a little
annoying.  To say "and gain an advantage in the campaign" I would just say
{QojvaD QapmeH}.  Thus:

tlhIngan Hol vIghItlh 'e' lutlhojchugh reHwI'pu', QojvaD QapmeH Hol ghojchoH
chaH 'e' vItul.

"If the players realize I am writing Klingon, I hope they will take up the
language in order to succeed at the game."

DON'T use the wrong prefixes and hope your pronouns will fix the problem.
It's very confusing.  I have rewritten this paragraph four times as I
realize you have abused {vI-} all the way through.

}I can't fit in  the otherwise part :(

First, definitely don't try to put it in the same sentence.  That sentence
is long enough already.  Don't think that you are being babyish writing
short sentences in Klingon.  It's just the way Klingon is.  I have a friend
who explained that when she first learned English she used to try and use
sentences as long as she would in her native French, so as not to sound
babyish.  Well she just ended up sounding unintelligible, because French
sentences are simply longer than English ones.  Klingon are even shorter.  Deal.

Second, what does otherwise mean?  Literally, look it up.  You have to
figure out what you are saying in English to say it in Klingon.  In this
case it means "if that does not happen" or "if they do not learn it."

lughojbe'chugh yajlaHbe'taH - If they don't learn it, they will go on not
understanding.  THIS is the right place to use {-taH}, because you are
talking about something remnaining, going on the way it is.  Continuous.

}Hopefully I learned what you said earlier. Thanks for your time Qov.

Yes, I think you did.  Now you're ready for a whole new tier of errors. :)

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level