tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 00:10:29 1997

Re: Gowran's name

[email protected] on behalf of Jarno Peschier wrote:
> On 19 Aug 97 at 19:02, William H. Martin wrote:
>
> > Gee. It looks like some regions don't like Gowran very much.
> > You'd best say his name very clearly. [...]
> > ghawran
>
> Is that how his name is written? Is that for sure? Because in my list
> I've got "ghowron". I don't remember where exactly I got that from
> (probably from this very mailinglist some time ago). I do think
> "ghawran" better matches the way Gowron (yes, I thought it was
> Gowron, not Gowran) is often spoken in TNG. Is the Klingon spelling
> of this guys name set in stone already, and if so, what exactly is
> it?

Remember, the transcription system we use describes the *pronunciation* of
Klingon, not the spelling.  We have no idea how this name would be represented
in the {pIqaD}.  Assuming {ta' Hol}, his name is pronounced {ghawran}.  Okrand
has used this.  Guess how it's spelled: Gowron.  It's spelled that way in
English.  Kinda like how "Kahless" is pronounced {qeylIS}.  With the {q} and
the {S}, there's absolutely no way to represent exactly how this name is truly
pronounced.  You can come close with "Kaylish," but it's not exact.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level