tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 21 23:25:47 1997

RE: Code Switching

ghItlh Ken:

>Excuse me but if KGT **IS** a book for those who are traveling in the
empire
>and is "HOPEFULLY" written to PREVENT such incidents as being HACKED TO
BITS.
>Your SO CALLED code switching would seem to be a COMMON everyday WAY to
speak
>Klingon. The KEY is it is a TRAVEL GUIDE for those who NEED to know HOW TO

>GET BY!!!!!!!

Yes - and in that precise sense I understood bI'reng's meaning. An author
of an American English phrasebook might mention that although the slang
'fag' means cigarette in the U.K., the meaning is quite different in the
U.S. Or that some speakers use 'y'know?' and 'like' a lot in their speech,
but are not really asking for acknowledgement of understanding or setting
up a simile. I think it is wise to warn a new speaker of traps they could
fall into - especially in Klingon. After all, only one of the above three
gaffes could potentially get you beat up, and even then likely not too
severely, as we are not as violent a culture as that. Nearly all gaffes in
Klingon are insults to honor and are dealt with much more directly. More
like wearing the wrong gang's colors in a neighborhood, or telling a
terrorist he is a loyal (name a nation which is subject to terrorism). Your
very life may be in danger.

Fact is, we don't see much in the way of that in such books because the
cultures are more alike than different. But Klingon culture is entirely
different. This difference demands more explanation and sterner warnings
about the variants of language and their intended or unintended impact.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level