tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 04:45:49 1997

Re: Gowran's name

On 22 Aug 97 at 0:21, David Trimboli wrote:

> > > Gee. It looks like some regions don't like Gowran very much.
> > > You'd best say his name very clearly. [...] ghawran
> >
> > Is that how his name is written? Is that for sure? Because in my
> > list I've got "ghowron". I don't remember where exactly I got that
> > from (probably from this very mailinglist some time ago). I do
> > think "ghawran" better matches the way Gowron (yes, I thought it
> > was Gowron, not Gowran) is often spoken in TNG. Is the Klingon
> > spelling of this guys name set in stone already, and if so, what
> > exactly is it?
>
> Remember, the transcription system we use describes the
> *pronunciation* of Klingon, not the spelling.  We have no idea how
> this name would be represented in the {pIqaD}.

Yes, of course. But since we really have nothing except the
transcription system, I meant that with "how it is written". Oh, you
know what I mean. ;-)

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level