tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 24 05:01:38 1996

Re: Anyone: HELP!

Orville J Canter <[email protected]> writes:
>> What is a fang?  It's a particularly toothy tooth.  How about {Ho''a'}?
>
>Your advice on translating to Klingon is very insightful, but I'm sorry,
>man - "Fek'lhr's toothy tooth" just doesn't sound that scary.

The augmentive noun suffix {-'a'} is often translated as "great", but it
is not really an adjective.  {Duy} is "agent, emissary", and {Duy'a'} is
"ambassador".  {qul} is "fire"; {qul'a'} could be translated "blaze" or
"conflagration".  If {Ho'} is "tooth", {Ho''a'} could easily refer to a
"long pointed tooth".  (There is no implication of poison, however; if you
think of a "fang" as belonging to a poisonous snake, you would have to come
up with another way of saying it.)  Of course, it might also mean "tusk",
which is a "long pointed tooth" that extends outside the mouth.

If you're going to focus on word-for-word translations, consider that
"fang of the guardian of Gre'thor" is kind of lame anyway.  I think
the original "Fek'lhr's fang" is effective only in English, where the
alliteration gives it some oomph.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level