tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 18:14:07 1996

Re: Engishization of Klingon (Was: RE: KLBC a phrase about Honor)

On Thu, 21 Nov 1996, Donald E. Vick wrote:

> > (Am I the only one dismayed by Okrand's musing (threat?) that
> > Klingon orthography might not be alphabetic?)
>      What's wrong with that?  I for one would be disappointed if they merely
> produced an alphabet.  There are so many other ways to represent speech on
> paper, this seems merely lazy, or even cowardly.

On the contrary, it seems efficient to me.

I'll be candid; one reason I enjoy Klingon is that it's really pretty
easy to learn: limited number of affixes, no irregulars, only a few types
of sentence structure.  I enjoy foreign orthographies, and I would enjoy
reading Klingon in its "native" script, but I really don't have any
desire to put in the effort needed to learn all the symbols Klingon would
need if it's not alphabetic.

> Due to the structure of most
> words, (i.e. kronstint-vooble-kronstint-vooble) a syllabary would seem quite
> natural.

I count 32 separate phonemes (the consonants and vowels, the "double
vowels" and the combination "rgh").  If my math is correct, you'd need
4,619 syllabic characters to represent all the possible C-V-C
combinations.  Seems kind of daunting to me.

> taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
> | Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
> |                                        |     [email protected]      |
> | gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
> | thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level