tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 18:46:05 1996

RE: KLBC:2 items

>>  tlhaQ nuq  'e' wISov tlhInganpu' jay'
>>  lutmaj luyajbe' tera'nganpu' jay'
>>
>>  We Klingons have a sense of humor.  Just because you Terrans don't
>>  understand our jokes doesn't mean we're not funny.
>
>Was this supposed to be a translation?  I think you missed a lot of detail!

No.  This was not intended to be a translation, just another expression of
my thoughts.

---------------------------------
>First off, you tried to say "we Klingons" by using the "we" verb prefix, and a
>third-person subject.  I don't quite understand why people try to do this, but
>I suspect it's from a desire to emulate English.  I don't like it.  Besides,
>this is the perfect opportunity to say "probably the most frequently heard
>Klingon phrase": {tlhIngan maH}.
>
>Also, you have used a question word as part of a sentence-as-object statement.
> Again, some people like to do this, and I honestly cannot fathom the logic
>behind it, except that it copies English.

I think I was thinking something like:
"what is funny?", we know it.
But I understand what you are saying.  This is what happens when someone
writes in a hurry.  (It ends up being 'street slang' klingon)

---------------------------------------
>Here's how I'd say the whole first bit in Klingon:
>
>tlhIngan maH!  tlhaQbogh lut law' DISovbej jay'!
>We are Klingons!  Of course we know lots of funny stories!  [explitive not
>translated :) ]

Certainly better (That's why you're the BG); but I'm not sure if it's quite
what I was expressing.  Maybe something like:
tlhaQchugh lut  'e' wISovbej jay'
we certainly know if a story is funny!

---------------------------------------
>>  lutmaj luyajbe' tera'nganpu' jay'
>
>All this is is "Terrans don't understand our story [singular]."  What happened
>to the rest?  How about this:

Leaving it singular was an error. (There's no excuse, but I was in a hurry)

--------------------------------------
>lutmaj tlhaQ yajbe'mo' tera'nganpu', matlhaQbe' net Daj neH.
>Because Terrans don't understand our jokes, it is only inconclusively tested
>that we are not funny.
>
>The second part is tough to translate into English, but it flows smoothly in
>Klingon.  What do you think?
>
>SuStel

How about:
lutmeymaj tlhaQ yajbe'mo' tera'nganpu', matlhaQbe'moHbe' net

Hmmm?  How about if I don't say this line and just kill him?

DloraH

Back to archive top level