tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 14:10:22 1996

Re: Engishization of Klingon (Was: RE: KLBC a phrase about Honor)

> (Am I the only one dismayed by Okrand's musing (threat?) that
> Klingon orthography might not be alphabetic?)
     What's wrong with that?  I for one would be disappointed if they merely
produced an alphabet.  There are so many other ways to represent speech on
paper, this seems merely lazy, or even cowardly.  Due to the structure of most
words, (i.e. kronstint-vooble-kronstint-vooble) a syllabary would seem quite
natural.  They don't seem pictorial enough to be pictographs, and there
doesn't seem to be enough similarity between the symbols to make a graphic
representation ala Feanorian tengwar.  Of course, they could just throw out
the pIqaD and start fresh.  *That* I could go for.  (The pIqaD might be some
sort of military code that not even Klingons can read without special training
(beyond ordinary literacy) which would explain the apparent randomness of the
symbols seen on screen.)

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |