tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 17:28:59 1996

RE: KLBC:loDDoq

jatlh loDDoq:

>  Hi SuStel,
>  didnt hear from u for a while.
>  i'm sending this replay right after you've send the letter itself(I have my

>  ways to know...)

"For a while?"  Unlike most other regular contributers on this list who read
and write their mail at work or between classes, I read and write my mail in
the evening, at home.  This means I start, oh, around midnight where you are.
Give me a chance to actually read the day's mail!

>  what's really bodering(spelling...) me is the sentences:
>  should I write it all backwards?(officer 'aDam is good->good is 'aDam
>  officer)

Klingon isn't simply backwards English.  There's a pattern here.

Klingon sentence order is Object - Verb - Subject.  In the sentence "Adam is
good," the subject is "Adam" and the verb is "be good."  Following correct
Klingon order, the sentence is

QaQ 'aDam.

It just so happens that ranks and titles go *after* the name, so "Officer
'aDam" is {'aDam yaS}, and therefore we get

QaQ 'aDam yaS
Officer Adam is good.

Read TKD chapter 6 for the full details of Klingon sentences.

>  BTW,Ive inventend a new word for Hebrew in tlhIngan Hol:
>  HebrI' Hol
>  Ive asked ~mark what he thinks about it and now i'm asking u:what do u
think
>  about it?

I expect ~mark will say the same thing I do: you cannot make up Klingon words,
unless your name is Marc Okrand.  If you're trying to use a word like
"Hebrew," just insert the unaltered word into the sentence, flagging it with
quotes or asterisks.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96887.2