tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 17:28:50 1996

RE: KLBC: Quotes

jatlh HomDoq:

>  To me the difference is
>  that a <verb>wI'wI' can be somenone who verbs _for_ me. Of course
>  this can only happen with transitive verbs. QongwI'wI' can only
>  do it _for_ me (whatever that means), right? Can't be someone
>  who sleeps me... Thus _if_ muHoHwI' is a legal word, it is more
>  precise than HoHwI'wI'

Since {HoHwI'} is "sleeper" or "one who sleeps," {HoHwI'wI'} is "my sleeper."
If the sleeper were an animal, it would be {HoHwI'wIj}.

Maybe slightly more precise, but probably not grammatical.  To be avoided.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96887.0

Back to archive top level