tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 16 15:56:35 1996

RE: RE: KLBC: Translation

jatlh charghwI':

>  > ram Daq DaghoSpu'bogh, pa' SoHtaHmo'.
>
>  Now wait just a minute. The causitive factor behind your
>  location's insignificance is your presence there?

Essentially, yes.  It's a silly thing to say, which is why it makes sense.  In
a real-life context, it's meaningless.  Tell that to HurghwI'.

>  I think you
>  have missed your mark (even though I don't like the target very
>  much). Okay, I guess I need to try again.
>
>  "Whereever you go, there you are." Cast in Klingon:
>
>  Hoch DaSuchbogh yIchargh!

Well, I happen to agree with you that the sentence is a very unKlingon thing
to say, and I believe I've said as much before.  However, as Beginners'
Grammarian, I don't think it's my task to tell others what to say, but rather,
how to say what they're trying to say.  I'll make note of it, but then I'll
explain how it *would* be said.

Of course, I, for one, would still appreciate discussions on how a Klingon
would say things.  This is, after all, the Klingon Language.

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96878.2

Back to archive top level