tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 16 15:55:12 1996

RE: KLBC - Stephen Hawking

jatlh Ken N.:

>  "A computer virus should be considered a form of life, but I think it says
>  something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so
>  far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."
>  				-Dr. Stephen Hawking, 1994
>
>  chaq yIn qel De'Qaw'wI',

{De'Qaw'wI'} seems a little inadequate to describe "virus" in general.  At the
least, you should consider {De'wI' Qaw'wI'}.  I'd probably go for {De'wI'
rop}.

If it "should be considered," then you can say

yIn 'oH De'wI' rop'e' net qelnIS.
One needs to consider that a computer virus is life.

>  'ach vay' jatlh 'oH tera'nganDaghachvaD vIQub,

"It says something about human nature" could be rendered for this sentence as
{Human ghob Duj je Del ngoDvam} "This fact describes Human virtues and
instincts.

To get the "I think" bit, just add {-law'}:

Human ghob Duj je Dellaw' ngoDvam.

>  'e' Qaw'qu'chu' 'e' yIn wItagh neH.

I don't think you should try connecting this sentence to the previous one as
the English has done.

Qaw'taH neH yIn wIchenmoHta'bogh
The life which we have created merely destroy.

>  rurchuq yInbogh wItaghta'.

There's no noun here!

yIn wIchenmoHta'bogh wIrur.
We resemble the life which we have created.

I prefer {chenmoH} over {tagh} for this purpose, but that may just be a
stylistic bias of mine.

>  Qel "Stephen Hawking", 1994

"Stephen Hawking" tej tera' DIS wa' Hut Hut loS

(some SkyBox cards do this for the year).

SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian
Stardate 96876.1

Back to archive top level