tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 17 17:28:06 1996

RE: RE: KLBC: Translation

At 04:44 PM 11/16/96 -0800, you wrote:
>jatlh charghwI':
>
>>  > ram Daq DaghoSpu'bogh, pa' SoHtaHmo'.
>>
>>  Now wait just a minute. The causitive factor behind your
>>  location's insignificance is your presence there?
>
>Essentially, yes.  It's a silly thing to say, which is why it makes sense.  In
>a real-life context, it's meaningless.  Tell that to HurghwI'.

'oH vIparHa'bej jIH.

>>  I think you
>>  have missed your mark (even though I don't like the target very
>>  much). Okay, I guess I need to try again.
>>
>>  "Whereever you go, there you are." Cast in Klingon:
>>
>>  Hoch DaSuchbogh yIchargh!

tlhInganna' SoHbej! 'ach, <<Hoch DaSuchbogh yIchargh>> jIjatlh 'e' vIHech.

>Well, I happen to agree with you that the sentence is a very unKlingon thing
>to say, and I believe I've said as much before.  However, as Beginners'
>Grammarian, I don't think it's my task to tell others what to say, but rather,
>how to say what they're trying to say.  I'll make note of it, but then I'll
>explain how it *would* be said.

jIQochbe'. rut tlhInganna' 'oHbe'bogh mu'tlhegh vIjatlh jIqeqmeH tlhIngan
Hol vIjatlhmeH.
"I agree. Sometimes I speak a sentence which is not definately Klingon in
order to train for speaking Klingon."

>Of course, I, for one, would still appreciate discussions on how a Klingon
>would say things.  This is, after all, the Klingon Language.

jIQochbe'.

>SuStel
>Beginners' Grammarian
>Stardate 96878.2