tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 14:35:46 1996

Re: RE: KLBC:Quotes

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 17:39:02 -0800 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh taDI'oS:
>
> >  > English-         You saw his weakness, and he will never forgive you
> >  > tlhIngon Hol-    puj Dalegh 'ej DulIjQo'
> >  > back to English- You see him be weak and he won't forget you

That would have to be:
puj 'e' Dalegh 'ej DulIjQo'.

You can't leave out the {'e'}. Otherwise, you have two main
verbs. SuStel should have noticed that.

> >       It sticks in my mind that there is a word for forgive.  It's not in
> >  pojwI', or the www.kli.org word list, but I'm sure I saw it because I
> remember
> >  my surprise at finding such an un-Klingon concept represented.

If you ever find a reference to such a word, let me know. I
don't find it in MY word list.

> >  If I'm just
> >  imagining things, couldn't you say something like <bortaS ta'bej>?

Yes, but it might be better to say:

DavuvHa'law'mo' bortaS nejbej.

> I keep feeling the same thing, and I have no idea why!  Still, you've got a
> good idea here: {bortaS ta'bej} or {bortaS chavbej} convey some of the idea.
> However, it's actually more aggressive than what's above.  Someone who never
> forgives may not actually seek revenge (ask one of my ex-girlfriends . . .).

I disagree. They seek it by merely waiting for it, a rather
human approach, I'll admit, but just because they never achieve
revenge, that doesn't mean they would not welcome it were it to
appear before them. They passively seek revenge.

> >  > English-         That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
> >  > tlhIngon Hol-    HoSwI' SuchenmeH SuHoHboghQo'

He'So' mu'tlheghvam.

{chen} is definitely the wrong verb, being rather intransitive.
I had always heard that as "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you
stronger," which would be:

DuHoHta'be'chugh qay'bogh wanI' vaj ghur HoSlIj.

But to take it from your English:

HoSmaj ghurmoH qay'bogh wanI' 'ach nuHoHta'be'bogh wanI'.

I don't like this as much.

> >  > back to English- You which don't kill for the purpose of building you
> >  > 		 stronger

You misuse the verb {chen}. {chenmoH} means "make" as in "cause
to form" with "form" being intransitive. When you say, "Makes us
stronger", you are taking a totally different branch of meaning
out of the verb "make" from anything remotely associated with
"cause to form".

> >  > I'm not positive of the entire structure here.

You are perceptive. You have good cause to doubt.

> >       Just my cha' DeQmey, but I'm thinking something like <muHoHbewI'
> >  muHoSmoHbej.>

Ewwwwwww! vIHotQo'! yIHmey rur!

> taghwI'vaD bIjang jay'!  jItlhob, jIjangbe' bIjatlh!  bInep jay'!  {{:-)
>
> Beyond a missing glottal stop and the <*gasp*> horrible breaking of trust on
> your part, this is a good translation.

!!!?????!!!! nuq? nuqjatlh?

I'm speechless.

> It doesn't say "makes us stronger," but
> making us strong is certainly more than not making us strong, so the meaning
> seems to be intact.

wejpuH. DuSaqDaq yIchegh. jIbelHa'.

> nom bIjangchugh, SoH latlh je vIjangnIS.  HIloS!

'ej bIjangDI' bIjangchu'!

> SuStel
> Stardate 96868.0

charghwI'