tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 12:31:29 1996

Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?

> From: Dark Viper (mayq) <[email protected]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?
> Date: Thursday, November 14, 1996 5:09 PM
>
> At 06:14 AM 11/14/96 -0800, Lee Lewis wrote:
> >Many Klingonists, definitely those of us who are/were in KLAW,
> >are/were heavily influenced by John Ford's book "The Final
> >Reflection."  In KLAW, this was required reading and many of us
> >follow some of the Klingon practices as described in this novel.
> >Specifically, changing one's name by adding K' at the beginning
(for
> >the Naval branch), or adding M' at the beginning (for Marines).
It's
> >a sort of verbal badge attached to one's name.  My theld name is
> >"qotlhpach."  This is only used among my own theld members.  My
> >"official" or military name is "K'Pach." ...
>
> When I wrote that message I assumed (and had the right to assume)
that we
> were talking about tlhIngan Hol here. Naming conventions using
tlhIngan Hol.
> This is a tlhIngan Hol mailing list, is it not?

I did not mean to come off as confrontive in my commentary.  I only
meant to point out that many people had already developed characters
based on other criteria before tlhIngan Hol; and wondered if it was
expected that they should change their name(s) to conform to the
okrandian version.  If I moved to Spain, I wouldn't think I should
change my name from Lewis to Luis.  Nor am I suggesting that you
implied this (I am really not sure); I am just reflecting on the
concepts.

> > ... I would also point out that
> >KLAW, John Ford, FASA, and "Klingons," all existed prior to Marc
> >Okrand's TKD.
>
> I never said they didn't. I never even slightly implied that. So
why do you
> bring it up? Please see my previous paragraph for why I brought up
what I did.

I only brought it up becuse I had the impression (possibly incorrect)
that the use of <K'> was being being dumped on... and K'Pach would
like that.  };)

(Are we still 'on topic' I wonder?)

K'Pach

Back to archive top level