tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 21 14:31:36 1996

Wittering Terrans!

ghItlh charghwI':

& Nick Nicholas wrote:
&
& An aside: is it just me (and I know for a fact it isn't), or
& does talking in Klingon actually *force* you to be rude? ;)
&
& Richard Kennaway replied:
&
& No, talking Terran forces you to be wittering, vague, and
& indecisive.

vItchu' ghaH!

When I meet people in the MUSH (which I highly recommend) I try to
speak only Klingon and use Klingon correctly.  But as I am speaking
to the few people on the planet with whom I can use my new language,
I want to ensure they feel I have treated them with honour, for their
own sake, and so they will willingly respond the next time I invite
them to talk.  So I end up using Canadian instead of Klingon notions
of politeness.

For example, I notice that almost no one has managed to break the
habit of long goodbyes. We say we have to go, why we have to go, we
wish each other success (success at what? logging out?), we say
<qaghomqa' 'e' vItul> or <ram ram> (I thought the preson meant
"night is trivial" until I saw someone reply <ramoy ram>).

It's the Terran proclivity for meaningless words that is driving
us, and I intend to stop.  If you meet wovwI' in the MUSH, she will
gladly speak to you.  But if she says <DaH jItlheD>, expect the next
words you see to be "wovwI' has left."  She's not being rude.  She's
trying to be Klingon.

reH tlheDrup SuvwI'!

    wovwI'

Back to archive top level