tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 24 08:41:30 1996

Re: naj wovwI'

On 23 May 96, ghItlh charghwI' ~mark je:

& According to Mark E. Shoulson:
& ..
& > >vImev. chaHvaD <'Iv tlhIH> vItlhob.  mulegh neH 'ej muja'be' qoj
& > >muyajlaHbe'law'. yItqa' chaH.  quS'a'Daq ba'bogh nuv puS vIghoS.
& >
& > Probably "mubej" and not "mulegh" for "They just looked at me."  Right?

That is what I meant to say. 'oH mughchu'meH <mubej> DamaSlaw'chugh
<mubej> vIlajbej.

& > I think the object of "ghoS" should be the route taken (cf canon: He chu'
& > ghoS), not the thing approached.  With -Daq... but that's tricky with a
& > - -bogh clause.  Simpler: vIchol.  Hmm... ghoS *is* translated "approach".
&
& Actually, I think the object of {ghoS} usually IS that which is
& being approached or which one moves away from. It is that which
& is associated with a course or path, which is most often the
& destination.

There is a section in TKD, probably near the end of the nouns, that
says using -Daq with ghoS is redundant, like "approaching towards the
ship."   More canon and discussion of ghoS I would appreciate.

& Anyway, I'd translate {quS'a'Daq ba'bogh nuv puS
& vIghoS,} as "I approached a few people who sat in a big chair,"

Yes, it was the people whom I approached.  I *think* ghoS works
because I can say "I followed a course towards the people on the
bench."

& and probably change the word "big chair" to "couch".

It was actually a multi-tiered bench like a section of bleachers, but
now we're exploring my dream psyche not my Klingon.

& > >ja'chuqlaw' 'ej vIqagh vIneHbe'.  juppu'wI' tlhIH je chaH 'e' vISov.
& >
& > "tlhIH chaH je" qar'a'?
&
& {... 'ej jIqagh vIneHbe'.} qar'a'? And the second sentence
& already makes sense as "I know that they are you and my
& friends." If you move {je}, since {chaH} is being treated as a
& verb here, then {je} becomes adverbial ...

charghwI' has interpreted the sentence the way I wrote it, but
it is obviously confusing.  I should have said.  tlhIH chaH 'e' vISov
'ej juppu'wI' tlhIH 'e' vI...qel?  (I want "consider.")

& > >vI*hum*.  pay' bom vIghovta'.  <Eidelweiss> 'oH.  chay' jay'? <tI
& >
& > A little style thing to think about: maybe "vI*hum*choH"

Definitely.  I need to learn to use choH better.

& [Since Klingon singing is apparently chant-like, my mind locks,
& trying to imagine what a hummed chant would sound like.]

<Eidelwiess> *hum*ba' tlhInganqoqvam.  Of course he wasn't really a
Klingon.  Definitley a human in tacky Klingon armor, at a convention.

tuyajlaw'mo' jIQuchqu'.  qechmey chu' vIQummeH HolwIj chu'
vIlo'laHlaw'.  Holna' 'oHbej!

Oh, and thank you both for your *excellent* explanations of roaming
adverbs.   cha'DIch mu'tlheghDaq 'oH vIlanlaH DaH 'e' vIyaj.

& > ~mark
&
& charghwI'

wovwI'

Robyn Stewart - NLK Consultants Inc. - [email protected]

Back to archive top level