tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 21 14:08:02 1996

Re: Klingon writing tool

According to Frank M Truelove:

> Has anyone advanced any theories about what sort of stylus the tlhIngan pIqaD
> was originally made by?  (I'm assuming, of course, that ST is "real".)
>
> The shapes of the letters would be limited to the applications of the tool
> used.  Looking at the letters on my screen as I write this, I'm certain that
> these are not brush-strokes.  It would seem that these shapes are more
> readily carved than drawn or painted.
>
> Any more theories?
> --bangteH

With practice, you could form all the Klingon letters with a
pointed brush. Touch at a thin point and press downward as you
stroke to thicken it, and stop and lift straight up to end in a
thick, square edge. Similarly, you could form a line that
tapers at both ends by touching down while lowering the brush,
then lifting the brush while still stroking.

While I initially thought of a round, pointed brush, I suppose
a square, pointed brush would work even better, resulting in a
better thick, square end. Then again, I've never seen a square,
pointed brush...

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.