tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 05:56:42 1996

Re: The role of the KLI

ghunchu'wI' writes:

> Maybe we should
> just bite the bullet and recognize that the language has grown to the
> point that it no longer needs "parental approval" on grammatical issues.
> Paramount has bestowed legitimacy upon the Klingon Language Institute;
> perhaps the KLI's charter ought to be expanded to include *management*
> of the language instead of simply studying it.

I don't think so.  I realize that historically this seems to be the direction
that most artificial languages go, but I don't see why since we're dealing with
a language from a mythical future we should be condemned to repeat the past.

Management of the language per se is not part of the KLI's mission, nor I
suspect would Paramount's lawyers view that interpretation of our license.
While I am not at liberty to discuss the particulars of the license (that's part
of the rules of the license), I can tell you that our mission has always been to
promote the study and development of Klingon.  Our license is consistent with
that mission.

In the past we have held fast to certain very conservative guidelines,
discouraging wild neologisms or ill-advised grammatical extrapolations.  These
are of course value judgements, and are certainly acknowledged as such.  I have
always believed that one of our greatest strengths is the ability to discussion
and debate issues, therebye sharing insights and perspectives on this language
we have chosen to share.  This builds community, and community promotes the
language, thus bringing us back to our mission statement.

In those instances where the KLI has gone on record as taking a stand against
this word or that grammatical interpretation, it has always been in an attempt
to prevent fragmentation of the language community.  We promote study of
Klingon, or perhaps more specifically Okrand's Klingon.  Not Schoen's Klingon,
not Proechel's Klingon, not even Krankor's Klingon; Okrand's Klingon.

I realize that it is frustrating having to wait and wait and wait for Marc
Okrand to give us what we desire.  I know it first hand as the fellow who keeps
phoning him and asking for things.  But this is not capriciousness on Marc's
part, nor a lack of interest.  Klingon is not anyone's full time job, nor does
it pay anyone's bills, not even Marc's.  I for one am grateful for the
contributions that he has made in the past, and his willingness to keep the
lines of communication open.  I'll remind you that last summer Marc called the
qep'a' at his own expense and spoke with every person in the room.  I don't
consider this evidence of a man who is disinterested in our affairs, not in the
least.

Should a time come when Okrand decides to "hand over the reins" of the language,
I presume the KLI will be there to accept them.  But that is not a scenario I
spend much time entertaining.  Quite frankly, we have our hands full with enough
projects at the present time, and more on the way.

Qapla'

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level