tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 21 06:17:37 1996

Re: Fractions

According to Alan Anderson:

> {vatlhvI'} does a good job until you need more precision than the two
> decimal places it gives us.  But why would you need to use fractions?
> We don't even know how to talk about arithmetic well in Klingon.  The
> words {chel} and {nge'} work for the addition and subtraction operators,
> and {wav} might be okay for division, but there's no obvious word for
> multiplication, not to mention exponentiation.

If my memory serves, my earlier solution to this was to say for
4 X 3 something like "Four adds itself thrice". wejlogh
chel'egh loS (?). I guess four times three squared could be a
further extension of addition. That's how computers do it.

> If you want to collect strange proposals for unit fractions, here's one:
> use {yoy}. :-)  1/3 would be {wej yoy}.

wej.... puH.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \