tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 16 07:19:05 1996

Re: The Finished stone?????

David Barron writes:
>1) nagh ta'lu'bogh  <-I think this one works best
>2) nagh Qav
>3) bagh naQ

"The rock which has been accomplished."  I suppose it's okay.
"The final rock."  A good phrase, but not necessarily for this idea.
"The complete tying [sic]."  Except for the misspelled word, this is
close what I first came up with.

Thiago Miranda writes:
>How about:  nagh rInlu'bogh
>
>I like {rIn} because the object has been accomplished, thus: the stone which
>someone has finished.

Actually, I see this the other way around.  {rIn} doesn't look like a
transitive verb to me; I'm not comfortable with it having an object.

>While in {ta'} I get: the stone which someone is finishing.

I don't see anything in {ta'} that implies an ongoing process, but this is
a clue to a missing meaning in David's translations -- they ought to have
the "accomplished" aspect.

{nagh ta'lu'ta'bogh}
{Qavta'bogh nagh}
{naQta'bogh nagh}

We might try something like {nagh tlholHa'} or {lI'beHbogh nagh}.

Maybe we don't need to use a verb to describe it.  Perhaps we could say
{ta'na' nagh} "the definite accomplishment's rock".

Let's get to the root of the matter.  What did the mason do to the rock
in order to "finish" it?  Did he make it flat?  Did he smooth it?  Did
he make it square?  Maybe something like {nagh HabchoHmoHlu'chu'ta'bogh}
(except that the {-moHlu'} combination messes with my mind).

>P.S.- Because of the resent {'e' Xlu'} disscussion, I will try {nagh net
>rInlu'bogh}?

Yecch.  The words {'e'} and {net} refer to a preceding *sentence*, so they
are not appropriate here, but even if {net} were okay, the following verb
shouldn't have {-lu'} on it.