tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 16 09:29:01 1996

Re: The Finished stone???

> David Barron writes:
> >1) nagh ta'lu'bogh  <-I think this one works best
> >2) nagh Qav
> >3) nagh naQ
>
> "The rock which has been accomplished."  I suppose it's okay.
> "The final rock."  A good phrase, but not necessarily for this idea.
> "The complete rock." This is close what I first came up with.
>
> I don't see anything in {ta'} that implies an ongoing process, but
> this is a clue to a missing meaning in David's translations -- they ought to
> have the "accomplished" aspect.
>
> {nagh ta'lu'ta'bogh}
> {Qavta'bogh nagh}
> {naQta'bogh nagh}
>
> We might try something like {nagh tlholHa'} or {lI'beHbogh nagh}.
> Maybe we don't need to use a verb to describe it.  Perhaps we could
> say {ta'na' nagh} "the definite accomplishment's rock".
>
> Let's get to the root of the matter.  What did the mason do to the
> rock in order to "finish" it?  Did he make it flat?  Did he smooth it?  Did
> he make it square?

Okay, He made the rock ready to join the other rocks in
a big wall of the Great Hall. The specifics of that process
are unimportant.

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

---
 * OFFLINE 1.58 * *Daisey, Daisey,* HIjangbej! qamuSHa'mo' loQ jImaw'taH...

Back to archive top level