tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 07:32:28 1996

Re: Exhaustive word list

Thad Vick wrote:

> > Many such lists exist, in the private collections of individual members
> > of the KLI and this mailing list.  There is no *official* list of the
> > post-TKD words (at least not yet).  The easiest way to obtain a (nearly)
> > complete set of new words is to purchase a set of back issues of the
> > KLI's quarterly journal, HolQeD.  Among the other useful articles there,
> > one often finds lists of words revealed by such things as the audiotapes,
> > the ST:Klingon CD-ROM, and even directly from Marc Okrand himself.
>
> Since there is apparently a demand, and it would be easy for me to do so, I
> volunteer to produce and maintain an exhaustive word list.  Everyone is invited
> (requested) to send me your word lists at [email protected].  If I don't get any, I
> will assume nobody cares.  If I do, I'll sort them and make them publicly
> available, probably by publishing them on my web page.  Idioms would also be
> useful, since they are often (near)impossible to translate in one direction or
> the other.
>
> taDI'oS vIq, Linguist to the Masses

Slow down, speed racer!  Many of us have been maintaining exhaustive
lists for years.  It would be A Bad Idea to make such lists publicly
available, since the language is owned by Paramount.  Keeping a list is
a good thing for your own, personal use.  Creating said list for
yourself is a wonderful way of learning about what the language
contains, and finding those seldom-used, prize words like /noSvagh/ or
/rejmorgh/.  But making a comprehensive list of the vocabulary of
Klingon available via the WWW is to invite Paramount's lawyers into your
life.

Consider well what you do.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level