tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 07:35:33 1996

Re: Words for God

>   ghItlhpu' Thad Vick <[email protected]> (Re: Words for God
> ja'chuqpu'Ha'vIS):-
>
> > Elohim = HoswI'pu' -- powerful one, plural
>   Tilde = long vowel, here.
>   I thought that Hebrew {'elo~(a)h} (plural {'elo~hi~m}) meant directly "a
.. yada yada yada . . .

Ok, i am not a Hebrew scholar, and I don't know squat about Sanskrit or Arabic,
but I have been told by those who are that <elohim> is a plural form of <elo>
or <eloi> (depending, i think, on what grammar you use) and <elo> just means
"strong one."  There is one place in Psalms where God states, "You are all
gods." (KJV)  Barring pantheism (and that's a debate for another mailing list)
this would indicate that the word <elo> had a meaning other than "god".
Discussion is welcome.

> > The correct transliteration would be <yaHve'>
>
> and there is no <aleph> (= glottal stop) letter in the Hebrew. The final <he>
> letter is merely a Hebrew graphy for final short vowel.
You are right, of course.  Hivqa' veqlargh.

taDI'oS vIq, Linguist to the Masses

Back to archive top level