tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 07:26:06 1996

Re: Words for God

> Thad Vick <[email protected]> writes:
> \ Lord = the words for this in both Old Testament (Adonai) and New Testament
> \ (Kurie) merely mean a ruler or master and neither word was used exclusively
> \ for deity. A similar usage is found in modern Spanish (Senor). -- pIn'a'

jang marqoS:
> Why {pIn} and not {jaw} or {joH}, both of which mean "lord"?
> -marqoS

Sheer ignorance.  My TKD has not arrived in the mail yet and I'm fumbling along
with pojwI'.  The sense is of anyone in authority, since the word was used by
men to God, men to employers, slaves to owners, soldiers to officers, subjects
to kings, women to husbands, etc.  vuDlIj vIvuv, vItlhob je.

taDI'oS vIq, Linguist to the Masses (but still in training for tlhIngan Hol)

Back to archive top level