tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 22:17:50 1996

Re: ghoS or ghoS

At 08:25 PM 7/11/96 -0700, you wrote:

>ghoS - approach, come
>ghoS - go away from
>
>I was doing some translating while at work; I have used this word many times
>under both translations, today it struck me when I encountered a sentence
>that could be translated either way.
>
>molorDaq ghoS qeylIS
>
>Kahless is standing a couple yards from Molor.  Is Kahless going away from
>Molor, or is he approaching and moving closer to him?  There isn't a picture
>to show which direction he is facing.
>

>DloraH

Well, two sentences I remember which may help are

naDev yIghoS  (come here!)

and

naDevvo' yIghoS (go away!)

{-vo'} is 'from' while {ghoS} merely implies movement, though not in any
specific direction.

if qeylIS was moving away from molor, one would likely say

molorDaqvo' ghoS qeylIS

While the sentence you provided would likely be interpreted as qeylIS
approaching molor by default.
I do not have my dictionary handy, but I'm assuming by the fact that my
pojwI' program is complaining about combining -Daq and -vo', that they might
not be used together very often.  If they are, then the above sentence
expresses the fact that qeylISis moving away from the place where molor is,
not expressly molor himself.  I still have the sneaking suspicion that -Daq
and -vo' might be mutually exclusive, but without my dictionary, can't prove it.

,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
| |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
| |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
Guru.
`-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level