tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 19:34:46 1996

Re: ghoS or ghoS

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Roger Cheesbro wrote:

> ghoS - approach, come
> ghoS - go away from
>
> I was doing some translating while at work; I have used this word many times
> under both translations, today it struck me when I encountered a sentence
> that could be translated either way.
>
> molorDaq ghoS qeylIS
>
> Kahless is standing a couple yards from Molor.  Is Kahless going away from
> Molor, or is he approaching and moving closer to him?  There isn't a picture
> to show which direction he is facing.

I think in TKD it says {ghoS} is a word with a locative already implied.
Thus:

{molor ghoS qeylIS} = {molorDaq ghoS qeylIS} = Kahless approaches Molor.
{molorvo' ghoS qeylIS} = Kahless goes away from Molor.

Another example I can think of is {HIghoS} which means "approach
(towards) me" whereas {naDevvo' yIghoS} is translated as "get lost (i.e.
go (away) from here".

> DloraH

dave yeung

Back to archive top level