tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 12 19:40:42 1996

Re: ghoS or ghoS

On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Krenath wrote:

> At 08:25 PM 7/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >
> >ghoS - approach, come
> >ghoS - go away from
> >
> >I was doing some translating while at work; I have used this word many times
> >under both translations, today it struck me when I encountered a sentence
> >that could be translated either way.
> >
> >molorDaq ghoS qeylIS
> >
> >Kahless is standing a couple yards from Molor.  Is Kahless going away from
> >Molor, or is he approaching and moving closer to him?  There isn't a picture
> >to show which direction he is facing.
> >

> >DloraH
>
> Well, two sentences I remember which may help are
>
> naDev yIghoS  (come here!)
>
> and
>
> naDevvo' yIghoS (go away!)
>
> {-vo'} is 'from' while {ghoS} merely implies movement, though not in any
> specific direction.
>
> if qeylIS was moving away from molor, one would likely say
>
> molorDaqvo' ghoS qeylIS
>
> While the sentence you provided would likely be interpreted as qeylIS
> approaching molor by default.
> I do not have my dictionary handy, but I'm assuming by the fact that my
> pojwI' program is complaining about combining -Daq and -vo', that they might
> not be used together very often.  If they are, then the above sentence
> expresses the fact that qeylISis moving away from the place where molor is,
> not expressly molor himself.  I still have the sneaking suspicion that -Daq
> and -vo' might be mutually exclusive, but without my dictionary, can't prove it.

I believe any two suffixes of the same type are mutually exclusive, with
the exception of rovers.  Since both {-Daq} and {-vo'} are type 5 noun
suffixes, they are mutually exclusive.  Besides, since {-Daq} means
"towards" and {-vo'} away from, your sentence doesn't make much sense.  I
think you're confusing the suffix {-Daq} with the word {Daq} "place,
location".

Thus,
{*molorDaqvo' ghoS qeylIS} doesn't make sense.
{molor Daqvo' ghoS qeylIS} "Kahless goes away from Molor's location"

dave yeung

> ,-------+-----.    Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications.
> | |/~ /-|  /~ |     WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58   Macon, Georgia
> | |   \_|  _/ |  Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Whatzit
> Guru.
> `-------------'       1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210      (912)745-5858

Back to archive top level