tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 15:30:19 1996

Re: KLBC: *IRA*

beHwI"av writes:
>>>maj
>>
>>"...fine."  Not quite fine.  I don't think a subordinate clause fits very
>>well attached to an exclamation; there probably should be a "real" verb here.
>
>What would you suggest?

Depending on exactly how I felt, I might say {jIQuch} or {QaQ ghu'} or
{jIbel} or {wanI' vIlaj} or {qay'be'}...

>[...]
>wIjatlhmoHbogh jIjatlh (I speak which causes us to (converse) speak)

I think you've got the wrong understanding of {-bogh} "which".  TKD 6.2.3
explains that relative clauses modify nouns.  It looks like you're trying
to say that your speaking makes us speak; your translation uses a kind of
"which" that is different from the one that {-bogh} translates.

To give this meaning in a form that can be translated well, it has to be
rearranged to something like "we converse because I speak" or "my speaking
causes us to converse."