tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 15:25:57 1996

Re: Big Enterprise

ghItlh Dave Yeung:
>Isn't {-'a'} a type 1 noun suffix meaning "big"?  Therefore, isn't
>{enterpray'a'} "big Enterprise", as opposed the {enterpray} meaning just
>Enterprise?  Perhaps the Klingons first called Kirk's Enterprise
>{enterpray}, then when they saw Picard's they called it {enterpray'a'}
>meaning "Big Enterprise"

No.  The captions read "Enterprise?" not "Big Enterprise"....Klaa was basically
saying: "Enterprise, eh?"
Also, {entepray} was used later in the movie without the -{'a'} so it isn't part
of the name of the ship in Klingon.  The closest explanation that I've head is
either {-'a'} standing for "<the great> Enterprise", maybe with the tone
carrying the interrogation...or {'a'} as a separate word for interrogation (the
cartoon question mark theory)

Qapla'
-chIya'ghu

Back to archive top level