tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 29 13:45:06 1996

Re: Lang. tapes

First, I agree with everything ~mark said.

According to Sami Laitala:

> >> I have transcribed the beginning scene on PK,...
>
> OK here it is.
>
> -----
> Power Klingon : initial conversation

> K  tugh. ch-SS.                 (V{h{n {kki{!. tss.)

There should not be a {ch} there. Instead, it is just the
hissing, which Okrand explains somewhere in TKD (I forget
where) means something like, "get ready", synonymous to {'eH}.
He was explaining why the Captain in the first Star Trek Movie
held up his hand and hissed just before gesturing and yelling
{baH!} to fire the torpedo. He did this twice, once saying
{'eH} and the other time hissing.

The basic idea on the tape is that the Human had warning signs
that it was time to buy something.

>    bije'be'chu' vaj biHegh      (Sin{ et selv{stik{{n osta mit{{n joten kuolet.)
>    qo'wij Datichpu', tera'ngan! (Olet loukannut maailmaani, maan asukas.)

I didn't remember this first word. Could it have been
{qorDu'wIj} or {quvwIj}?

>    quvwij <- supposed to be                     kunniaani
>    ??? [beintaHetaqoqte']

This is the part that I interpreted to mean, "You do not
deserve to continue to live," requiring a new verb Okrand has
not given us. I heard: {bIyIntaH 'e' Da[something]be'!} The
[something] sounded a lot like {qaq} or {QaQ} or maybe the
{qoq} you heard, but it was not clear at all and I never felt I
could distinguish it from those existing verbs. I'm
interpreting the "deserve" from context and because it is a
verb I think Klingon needs.

> T  'a jiSuHchu'.      (Mutta olen siihen t{ysin valmis.)

I think the {'a} is the human saying something like, "ummmm". I
forgot what he said, but this doesn't sound right. I thought it
was something like, "Show me that." It had something to do with
wanting to see something; a less than certain expression of
interest in purchasing an item, too little, too late.

>    Duchvetlh vichu'.  (Laitan t{m{n vehkeen p{{lle.)

Dochvetlh vIje'.

> ------
>
> Can anyone understand my Klingon sound files?

I, for one, cannot.

charghwI'
--

 \___