tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 06 20:22:13 1996

Re: KLBC: several questions

>> >jaH neH ghaH 'e' teH
>> >HE wants to go. (something) is true that.
>> >It is true that he wants to go.
>> >

>From all the discussion I have seen on this listserv so far, I conclude that
Klingon does not allow Stative Verbs to take an Object.  Thus, {teH} cannot
take {'e'} as its predicate.  This makes any sentence such as {jaH neH ghaH
'e' teH} illegal.

I am impressed by the sentence structure {De' Sov qar'a' HoD} in that it
shows me Klingons do juxtaposition Stative Verbs into the heart of their
sentences.

Earlier I posted a couple of lines regarding {-mo'}.  qagh maSopta'mo' jIQuch
means I am happy that we ate the serpent-worm-as-food.  However, this
structure cannot work for all sentences which in English begin with "It is
SV.... that ....."  For "It is true he wants to go," I suggest jaH ghaH neH
ghaH.  teH wanI'vam.  I have replaced your {teH mu'tlheghvam} with {teH
wanI'vam} because I feel that the event being talked about is what carries
the verity, not that we are uttering a sentence.

Personally, I want to see a lot more discussion toward resolution of how to
translate this set of English language concepts.  Plus, I am still
consternated regarding comparison and superlative of any sentence structures
other than N + SV + law' + N + SV + puS.

peHruS

Back to archive top level