tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 10 10:21:41 1996

Re: KLBC: several questions

According to [email protected]:

> Earlier I posted a couple of lines regarding {-mo'}.  qagh maSopta'mo' jIQuch
> means I am happy that we ate the serpent-worm-as-food.  However, this
> structure cannot work for all sentences which in English begin with "It is
> SV.... that ....."  For "It is true he wants to go," I suggest jaH ghaH neH
> ghaH.  teH wanI'vam.  I have replaced your {teH mu'tlheghvam} with {teH
> wanI'vam} because I feel that the event being talked about is what carries
> the verity, not that we are uttering a sentence.

For this particular verb ("be true") I think you are ignoring
the most obvious tool in Klingon. Why do you think we have the
suffixes {-ba', -bej, -chu'}? "It is true that he wants to go,"
can be translated into two words: jaH neHbej.

If you'd like to choose some other verb for this discussion, it
might become more interesting, but THIS one seems to miss one
of the root strengths of Klingon. English lacks the natural
confirmation of the certainty of the speaker that the action
has actually occurred.

> Personally, I want to see a lot more discussion toward resolution of how to
> translate this set of English language concepts.  Plus, I am still
> consternated regarding comparison and superlative of any sentence structures
> other than N + SV + law' + N + SV + puS.

For the most part, if I'm comparing actions instead of nouns, I
just do so by recasting. Unfortunately, this does not offer a
formula that can be offered for other examples. If you'd like
to offer some specific English sentences you'd like translated
into Klingon, I'll be glad to have a go at it.

> peHruS

charghwI'
--

 \___