tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 05 20:24:06 1996

Re: KLBC: several questions

> >Last question (for now): in HolQeD 3:2 our friendly
> >grammarian, Cpt. Krankor, examines the usage of "it"
> >in English and how this carries over to tlhIngan Hol.
> >
> >He is especially considering a usage, which is described as
> >
> >	the grammatical subject of a clause of which the
> >	actual subject is another clause or phrase following
> >
> >this sure sounds like the dreaded "sentence-as-subject"
> >to me. He concludes that Klingon may have this usage but
> >that what is the subject in English becomes the object of
> >the Klingon phrase, e.g.
> >
> >jaH neH ghaH 'e' teH
> >HE wants to go. (something) is true that.
> >It is true that he wants to go.
> >
> >I think this is weird. My personal opinion is, one would
> >have to say something like
> >
> >jaH neH ghaH. teH mu'tleghvam.

My personal style would be to draw my disruptor, point it to
your head and then say:

jaH neH ghaH qar'a'?

I think this is a far more Klingon way of saying "It is true
that..." Just ask if it is true and use body language (or
weapon language) to indicate the appropriate answer.

There is also the simple: jaH neHbej ghaH.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \