tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 06:24:38 1996

Re: newbie comments for Jarno and everyone

ghItlh Guido#1:

[snip]
: translation: a magnificence learning device. With one big concession:
: Translation should follow repetitive drilling and fortification of knowledge
: of grammar and vocab. It is not a beginner's friend. Of course, there are
: those who have gone thru the whole ordeal with other previously learned
: langs, and already understand the whole philosophy of translation quite well,
: --Guido

toH!  Isn't translation of what's in your mind and what you have to say the
same a translating a piece of prose?

The trouble I find with translating a piece of prose into tlhIngan Hol is
the fact that there are missing words.  Especially nouns that I can't easily
recast.

Being an instructional designer, I'd disagree with you that repetitive
drilling is any kind of instruction.  What does that teach you?  And
how effective is it?  There are a number of studies out there that show
a highly effective way to learn is through EXPERIENCE.  Sit someone in
a Klingon bar and they'll start to LEARN.  Or, on Earth, sit with some
of the fluent people and just have a conversation (or listen in).  This
is ACTIVE learning (as opposed to your repetitive drilling which is more
passive).

Just my two cents...

-majIq

Back to archive top level