tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 03 09:31:47 1996

Re: newbie comments

>From the keyboard of Matt Gomes

> ghItlh Guido#1:
> [snip]
> : translation: a magnificence learning device. With one big concession:
> : Translation should follow repetitive drilling and fortification of knowledge
> : of grammar and vocab. It is not a beginner's friend. Of course, there are
> : those who have gone thru the whole ordeal with other previously learned
> : langs, and already understand the whole philosophy of translation quite well
>
> toH!  Isn't translation of what's in your mind and what you have to say the
> same a translating a piece of prose?

Agreed.  Unless of course, you just think in tlhIngan Hol and then write
it down.  :-)

> The trouble I find with translating a piece of prose into tlhIngan Hol is
> the fact that there are missing words.  Especially nouns that I can't easily
> recast.

So, lets tie Okrand down and beat some new words out of him and Maltz.  :-)

> Being an instructional designer, I'd disagree with you that repetitive
> drilling is any kind of instruction.  What does that teach you?  And
> how effective is it?  There are a number of studies out there that show
> a highly effective way to learn is through EXPERIENCE.  Sit someone in
> a Klingon bar and they'll start to LEARN.  Or, on Earth, sit with some
> of the fluent people and just have a conversation (or listen in).  This
> is ACTIVE learning (as opposed to your repetitive drilling which is more
> passive).

Abso-fraggin-lutely!  I've learned _so_ much in the 2.5 years I've been
lurking on this list.  Not enough to even consider myself 1% fluent,
but still enough that I can occasionally actually understand what someone
is saying.

qu'

--
.  Joe Steger ([email protected])                                        .
.  Work V: 303-863-8088  Work F: 303-863-1218  Home V: 303-232-9241    .

Back to archive top level