tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 20 10:56:06 1996

RE: Klingon message in the book 'Watch me', by A.J. Holt

December 19, 1996 5:18 AM, jatlh Senjin Omukae:

> I've read a book which contained a Klingon message, but I don't know
> what it means. I looked in the Klingon Dictionary but only some of the
> words were in there.
>
> I think it's not even proper Klingon cause it uses some letters which
> nog exist in the Klingon language, like the lowercase i and uppercase L.
>
> Can anybody tell me what it means... this is the message:
>
> qaStaJvlS wa'ram LoS SaD Hugh SlijlaH qetbogh loD

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD.
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.

This was said by one of Kang's men in the Star Trek episode "Day of the Dove."

Actually, you'll find this sentence in the "Useful Phrases" appendix of The
Klingon Dictionary.  Also, the words you see are not only nouns and verbs, but
also suffixes attached to them.  So, you won't find {qaStaHvIS} in the
dictionary, but you will find {qaS} "occur," and the verb suffixes {-taH}
"continuous" and {-vIS} "occur."

The Klingon Way tells us that this proverb addresses trying to accomplish what
needs to be done, despite seemingly impossible odds.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level