tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 01 18:00:57 1996

RE: KLBC: compounding

December 01, 1996 5:40 PM, jatlh Andrew 'Ska' Netherton:

> > Variety is the spice of life!  mataHmeH maSachnIS.
>
> 	OK, the second one is "We need variety."  But I'm rather confused
> with <taH>, "to be at a negative angle".  Could I have some clarification
> on that??  (I don't think all Klingons lean, do they?)

Look in the Addendum: {taH} also means "survive, endure."  I did not simply
translate "Variety is the spice of life" (sorry that it looks that way).  The
English sentence was a suitable proverb in English, and the Klingon sentence
was a suitable proverb in Klingon.  It is from TKW, and means "To survive, we
must expand."  The word for "variety" is {Sar}, which I did not use.

> 	I realized the other day how very, very wrong that translation
> was.  I'm now keeping my translations to myself (trying to) until I
> actually start in on the course...

Well, just don't worry about translating others' words.  For now, just
concentrate on being able to express your *own* ideas.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level