tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 01 18:06:42 1996

RE: KLBC: vImugh

December 01, 1996 6:41 PM, jatlh De'vuch:

> K:  DaSmeywIj vISay'moHtaH.
> E:  I can clean my boots.

You have actually written "I am cleaning my boots."  Was this a typo?  It
should have been {DaSmeywIj vISay'moHlaH}.

> K:  DujlIj Doj.
> E:  Your ship is impressive.

The subject of the sentence is "ship" {Doj}, so it must come last.  {Doj
DujlIj}.

> K:  ghorDaq HIjol.
> E:  Beam me to the surface.

maj.

> K:  Ha'DIbaHmeywIj mach.
> E:  My animals are small.

You Klingon actually says "my small animals."  Again, the subject is "my
animals," and so must go last.  {mach Ha'DIbaHmeywIj}.

> K:  tlhIngan SoH vIHon.
> E:  I doubt that you are Klingon.

What you've got here are two sentences in one: {tlhIngan SoH} "you are a
Klingon," and {vIHon} "I doubt it."  This calls for a sentence-as-object
construction:

tlhIngan SoH 'e' vIHon
I doubt that you are a Klingon.

The object of {Hon} is {'e'}.  {'e' vIHon} means "I doubt that --."  The {'e'}
equals {tlhIngan SoH}.

> K:  cha'Hu' Dujvetlh vImej.
> E:  I left that ship two days ago.

maj.  Be aware that we don't really know if {mej} is transitive or
intransitive or both.  It might be fine as {Dujvetlh vImej}, or it might have
to be {Dujvetlhvo' jImej}.  We just don't know (unless there's canon that I
don't remember).

> K:  jIjIvbe' 'ach bIjIv.
> E:  I am not ignorant, but you are.

majQa'!  Nice translation into English!

> K:  lalDanlIj vIHarlaHbe'.
> E:  I cannot believe your religion.

maj.

> K:  lIHegh neH loDnI'wI'.
> E:  My brother wants to kill you.

You've got the wrong prefix on {Hegh}.  "He" wants to kill "you" (singular)
calls for the prefix {Du-}.

DuHegh neH loDnI'.

Be aware that this could be misinterpreted as "My brother merely kills you."
It's okay, though.

> K:  nughoS wa'maH cha' Dujmey.
> E:  The twelve ships are approaching us.

majQa'!

> K:  HImISmoHchugh, vaj qaHoH.
> E:  Don't confuse me, or I will kill you.

maj.  Again, nice to see you're not chained to your English grammar when
constructing Klingon sentences!

> K:  tlhIngan mu'ghom vIlaDlaH, 'ach Hoch vIyajbe'.
> E:  I can read the Klingon dictionary, but I don't understand it all.

maj!

> K:  DaH nIvnavlIj yItuQmoH.
> E:  Put on your pajamas now.

maj.

> K:  bIngabchugh, vaj qatu'nIS.
> E:  If you disappear I will need to find you.

majQa'!

> K:  bIpIvchugh, yISuvnIS.
> E:  If you are healthy, you must fight.

maj.

> K:  'ejDo'vam pup.
> E:  This starship is perfect.

You've got a bit of trouble when it comes to stative verbs.  Once again,
determine the subject of your sentence.  The subject is "starship."  This
needs to go last: {pup 'ejDo'vam}.

> K:  DaH nuHmeychaj yIqem.
> E:  Bring me their weapons now.

Almost.  It would probably do in a conversation, but for clarity's sake let me
explain: you've said "Bring their weapons now."  You have not said anything
about bringing them to "me."  For that, do the following:

DaH jIHvaD nuHmeychaj yIqem.

> That's enough for now.  I'll probably do some more tomorrow night.

maj.  mu'tlheghlIj vInuD 'e' vItIv.  qechmey'e' DaQubpu'bogh SoH DalI'.  vaj
bIghojchu'.  Qapla'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian