tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 01 16:11:07 1996

RE: KLBC on naming convention

At 02:23 PM 12/01/1996 -0800, SuStel wrote:
>December 01, 1996 4:21 PM, jatlh Robert Lynch:
>>         TKD Section 4.2.5 gives us {-lu'} to use passive voice.  "I am
>> named/called Kyris" is then {*qayrIS* vIponglu'} -- yes, that's the right
>> prefix on {pong}, thanks to a documented exception.
>
>What documented exception?

        Well, perhaps 'exception' is a little strong.  Page 38-39 of TKD
says "Those prefixes which normally indicate first- or second-person subject
and third-person singular object (vI-, Da-, wI- bo-) are used to indicate
first- or second-person object."

        So I'm translating {vIponglu'} as "I am called," choosing the
passive voice intentionally..  The {vI-} prefix points the name (used as an
object, since I'm winging it here) at "me". {pong}, as has been pointed out
in the FAQ, is a two-object verb.  The name is one object, and the thing
named is the other.  My idea (which may well be unfounded in canon) is to
use the verb prefix to indicate one object, and to state the other one
explicitly.

>jIHvaD *qayrIS* ponglu'
>*qayrIS* 'oH pongwIj'e'
>
>These are the only two correct ways to say this.

        I'd translate {jIHvaD *qayrIS* ponglu'} as something much like "The
name 'Kyris' is given to me', which basically conveys the meaning I was
looking for.  I arrived at that construction, too, after reading the FAQ's
discussion on names.  When I saw {-lu'} given to express passive voice, I
came up with my other idea.

        After reading the FAQ, I just wanted to try to use {pong} as a verb...

        qatlho'!

        qayrIS

Robert Lynch        [email protected]         http://www.neosoft.com/~lynch
"They murder with kisses...