tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 07 10:54:31 1995

Re: jIlIH(')egh, etc.

>Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 16:50:48 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>~mark writes:
>>...Then how would you give a name?  "mupong <jejQIb>" perhaps?

>I already said I preferred {pongwIj 'oH jejQIb'e'}, with the name
>as the subject rather than the object of the pronoun-as-verb.  It's
>strictly personal preference at this point, but I still think the
>name as object sounds too much like "What is a Danny Thomas?"

No matter the order, you still run afoul of your interpretation of pronouns
as set-membership indicators.  Either way you're making an equivalence
between the thing that is "my name" and the thing "jejQIb."  That was why I
was asking.  It's just as much a counterexample as "HoDDaj jIH."

~mark

Back to archive top level