tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 23 11:28:29 1995

Re: AAARRRGGGHH!!!

Brandon,

> OK, it's official! I am conceding defeat with this language.  It's not
> that it is THAT hard, I just can't seem to get a claw into it to really
> start me out.

Don't give up. Just realize that everyone here was (or is) a beginner at some
point.

> Any suggestions? I've already purchased the Dictionary and one of the
> audio tapes.

I would suggest that you start off with VERY simple sentences. Don't try to
compose long rambling epics. Simple O-V-S sentences at first. If you stick to
"he/she did", you don't have to even worry about the prefixes. Then progress
"I did" and limit yourself to no object or 3rd person objects only (jI- and
vI-).
Don't worry about being repetitive. Avoid the verb suffixes until you get the
hang
of O-V-S.

> What I really need is something to just kick me in the butt and say,
> "LOOK, THIS IS HOW YOU GRUNT IT!" Or whatever.
>
> Thanks.

The spoken language is a lot harder to grasp unless you have someone to
practise
with. The tapes are fine for hearing the pronunciation, but eventually you
have to
make up the conversations yourself. yIvum, tItuv, yItaH, bItlhetlh, bIQap.
Qapla'.

Brad

Back to archive top level