tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 23 11:47:24 1995

Re: AAARRRGGGHH!!!

Thanks for the tips!  I will try the writing and deciphering thing, it
sounds like a good idea.

Brandon S. Smith

[email protected]

"Grace was in all her steps, heav'n in her eye, In every gesture dignity
and love." -- Milton

On Tue, 23 May 1995, R.B Franklin wrote:

> On Mon, 22 May 1995, Brandon Smith wrote:
>
> > OK, it's official! I am conceding defeat with this language.  It's not
> > that it is THAT hard, I just can't seem to get a claw into it to really
> > start me out.
>
> yIjeghQo'!  Suvpa' jeghbe' SuvwI'.  (Don't give up!  A warrior does not
> give up before he fights.)
>
> > Any suggestions? I've already purchased the Dictionary and one of the
> > audio tapes.
>
> Read the grammar section of TKD.  Study it.  Listen to the tapes.  Try to
> write down a few phrases.  Memorize a couple of simple phrases and think
> about the meaning of each word as you say it.  Practice writing simple
> sentences.  Practice speaking.  Learn the pronunciation.  If you can
> pronounce a word, it is easier to memorize it.
>
> Memorize a few basic words.  Good words to start with are {jatlh} (speak,
> say), {ghItlh} (write), {laD} (read), {ghaj} (have).
> Memorize a couple of verb prefixes.  The most frequently used ones are
> {jI-} & {vI-}, {bI-} & {Da-}, and {-} (no prefix).
>
> Practice reading Klingon sentences.  When I was just beginning, I found
> it helped to write down each sentence and write down the English
> translation under each word and then go back and figure out what then entire
> sentence meant.
>
> Whenever you can't figure something out, just ask.
>
> > What I really need is something to just kick me in the butt and say,
> > "LOOK, THIS IS HOW YOU GRUNT IT!" Or whatever.
>
> Klingon is not a hard language.  It just looks hard at first because it
> is strange.  Once you figure out the basic concepts, you will discover
> that you can read and write Klingon without very much trouble.
>
> > Brandon S. Smith
>
> yoDtargh

Back to archive top level