tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 07:29:49 1995

Re: Coffee

>Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 06:04:24 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected]

>On Wed, 17 May 1995 19:06:46 -0400, "Lawrence M. Schoen"  <[email protected]> said:
>> [...] since I am not a coffee drinker (as I believe I've brazenly
>> admitted to this list before) I really don't know what "latte" or
>> "cappuccino" even mean!

>Well, _latte_ is Italian for `milk'; what's the Klingon for that?
>Are Klingons mammals, anyway?  Assuming that female Klingons' breasts
>have the same kind of glands as female humans' do, what is the output
>of those glands called in Klingon?

I *think* there's evidence that Klingons are mammals in the same sense as
humans; wasn't there that episode where Riker was posted on a Klingon
vessel and the crew there was ribbing him and his presumably weak human
stomach at mealtime, saying "maybe we should get one of the females to
nurse him..."?

What, Star Trek groundbreaking?  Never.

>> So, maybe they CAN be translated.

>Maybe they can, but must they?  They are not translated in English.
>If English uses the Italian words, why should Klingon have its own?

Yes.  Very good point.  You're looking for a Klingon word for "Latte"?
What, pray tell, is the *ENGLISH* word for that coffee?  There isn't one.
We're quite content to use the Italian, since that conjures up the right
meanings for us.  So why break our heads to come up with something that
won't work in Klingon?

>--'Iwvan

~mark

Back to archive top level