tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 07:13:46 1995

Re: Beginner Help: Tolkien

>Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 20:19:01 -0400
>Originator: [email protected]
>From: [email protected] (Lance Purple)

>> On Wed, 17 May 1995 18:30:53 -0400, "R.B Franklin" <[email protected]> said:
>> > Maybe a Tolkien scholar can confirm this, but I think the word for elf
>> > in Quenya is "elda", so perhaps you could use {*'elda'pu' che'wI'pu'}
>> > (the rulers of the Elves).

>I suggest:

>ngemyoq   - Elf   ("forest humanoid")
>wutlhyoq  - Dwarf ("underground humanoid")
>qampobyoq - halfling ("foot-hair humanoid")

An important thing to remember when trying to come up with compounds like
this is their utility.  These words are all hindsight-words; they only make
sense once you know what they mean.  If you came across them in a sentence,
you'd be pretty mystified.  (a forest-humanoid?  underground?  [Hobbits
live underground too, btw].  um... ok, likely meaning where they
live... maybe whoever gave these rings out just didn't want to have them
all in the same city.)

Then again, the words in the original are like that as well; you can't know
what Tolkien means by "Elf" and "Dwarf" until... well, until you know what
Tolkien uses those words for.

~mark

Back to archive top level