tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 18 07:29:56 1995

Re: KLBC: yIjatlhQo' ram luwovmoH Hovmey

According to Marc Ruehlaender:

> I've sent this one before, but didn't get an answer.
> Maybe I hadn't made clear what I wanted }:->

I tend to shy away from translations of poetry and song lyrics
because they so often stretch the grammar so far it kinda hurts
to even read it. Anyway, this seems better than most, though
strange, nonetheless.

> So, please tell me if the sentences
> - are grammatically correct
> - make any sense to you
> >
> > The following is a translation of song lyrics.
> > (I know I shouldn't have done it, but...)
> >
> > yIjatlhQo' ram luwovmoH Hovmey
> > 'ej meQqu'pu' taDmoHghach

I don't know this song.

"Don't talk! Stars light the night and the act of freezing has
burned." ?

> > pu'HIch bolo'laHchu' 'e'
> > vIghojmoHta' 'e' boqaw'a'

"Do you (plural) remember that I have accomplished teaching
[teaching whom cannot be indicated in this grammatical
construction] that you (plural) can perfectly use a phaser
pistol?"

Here, I'd tend to prefer to use {-meH} instead of a sentence as
object construction:

pu'HIch bolo'laHchu'meH SaghojmoHta' 'e' boqaw'a'?

This has the advantage of being able to indicate to whom you
have taught this and makes it clear that rather than merely
teaching "that" you can perfectly use a phaser (which could
mean that this is a history lesson given to someone else
telling them that the skill has been learned), it is clear that
I have taught "in order that" you can perfectly use a phaser.
Now, your gained skill with the phaser is explicitly the
purpose of my teaching.

> > 			Marc Dochlangan
> Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
> Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \